Full Stack Engineer - Growth
Software Engineering, Sales & Business Development
Remote · Lancaster, OH, USA · United Kingdom
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
We are redefining how people approach their health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, ZOE is already helping > 100k ZOE members to adopt healthier habits and live better. Our work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
To learn more, head to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Audible to listen to our Science & Nutrition Podcast (with 3 million listens!)
A remote-first, high-growth startup, we are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and builders to join our team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. We are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. We want our teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of our teammates and the people around us is a top priority.
Check out what life is like for our tech team on ZOE Tech.
We’re looking for a Full Stack Engineer to take ZOE even further.
Meet the team
Our Growth team is integral to the success of ZOE. We help acquire new members via engaging and targeted content, making the start of their journey with ZOE a pleasure. We operate in a very dynamic and rewarding environment, working closely with our stakeholders to find the best solutions for the business and our potential customers. Our agile, cross-functional teams use continuous delivery and regular feedback to ensure we deliver value to our customers daily. Our systems make use of Typescript, React, Python, Kotlin, and FastAPI. We deploy and operate our software using Kubernetes in GCP.
What’s the role?
As a Full Stack Engineer in the Growth team, you will be working closely with the rest of the engineers writing code, performing code reviews, participating in architecture sessions, collaborating with your fellow team members to ensure we are always learning, and working with our main stakeholder Marketing to ensure we are building solutions to the highest value problems.
- A full-stack developer with relevant experience in web development and React.
- Comfortable collaborating with stakeholders and product managers to ensure we deliver exceptional value to both the business and our customers.
- Working in a self-organising team with high levels of trust and collaboration. We believe in empowering our engineers to lead initiatives.
- Leading by example to ensure our engineering solutions are scalable, maintainable, testable and follow best practices.
- Helping the team operate effectively by breaking problems down into simpler ones for fast delivery and impact.
- Keeping concerns such as accessibility, responsiveness and performance at the forefront of our product development, ensuring that we build products that are a pleasure to use for everyone, everywhere.
- Someone who strives to keep their code clean, tests complete and functional, and their releases frequent.
- Working in fast feedback loops with our customers, to ensure we are continuously learning and improving.
- Releasing several times a day using our CI/CD pipelines.
- Someone who enjoys working in an incredibly supportive environment with cross-functional teams.
We think you'll be great if you...
- Have experience working with any of the following: Typescript, React, React Native, headless CMS.
- Believe in outcome over output. As such, we prefer a "technology agnostic" mindset that's aimed to get the job done - whatever tool is required.
- Have a proactive personality with a passion for software engineering and Software Craftsmanship.
- Are able to deal with high levels of ambiguity. As a Series B Start-up, we often need to iterate fast and work with limited data.
- Are happy to work in a diverse work environment where we celebrate differences and build upon each other positively.
- Are someone who brings joy and enjoys building meaningful work relationships.
- Have experience with observability and operating business-critical software
- Have experience in React Native mobile development.
- We appreciate those who dedicate themselves to lifelong learning. Possessing a self-improvement mindset, reading software engineering books, attending meet-ups, speaking at events or generally contributing to the world of OSS is a huge plus!
Our hiring process consists of the following stages:
➡️ Talent Acquisition Screening: Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone interview with our Talent Acquisition Partner. This conversation will help us assess your qualifications, experience, and your fit for our team. Duration 45min
➡️ Hiring Manager Screening: Selected candidates will be moved forward in the process and meet an Engineering Manager. This conversation will focus on diving deeper in regards to your qualifications, experience, and your fit for ZOE. Duration 30min
➡️ Technical Interviews: You will be asked to complete two technical interviews, which evaluate your coding and system design experience. Duration 60min/each
➡️ Behavioural Interviews: You will be asked to complete two behavioural interviews, which evaluate your present and past experience from a behavioural standpoint. Duration 45min/each
⏰ Expected Timeline: The entire hiring process typically takes around 3-4 weeks from the Talent Acquisition Interview to the job offer. We understand the importance of your time and aim to provide timely feedback and updates at each stage.
These are the ideal skills, attributes, and experience we’re looking for in this role. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes, especially on the skills and experience front, we’re happy to upskill for the right candidate.
Life as a ZOEntist – what you can expect from us:
As well as industry-benchmarked compensation and all the hardware and software you need, we offer a thoughtfully-curated list of benefits. We expect this list to evolve as we continue supporting our team members’ long-term personal and professional growth, and their wellbeing.
Remote-first: Work flexibly – from home, our London office, or anywhere within the EU
Stock options: So you can share in our growth
Paid time off: 28 days paid leave (25 holiday days, plus 2 company-wide reset days, and 1 “life event” day)
Enhanced Parental Leave: On top of the statutory offering
Flexible private healthcare and life assurance options
Pension contribution: Pay monthly or top up – your choice.
Health and wellbeing: Like our Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to Work Scheme
Social, WFH, and Growth (L&D) budgets. Plus, multiple opportunities to connect, grow, and socialise
We’re all about equal opportunities
We know that a successful team is made up of diverse people, able to be their authentic selves. To continue growing our team in the best way, we believe that equal opportunities matter, so we encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply for this role. You can view our Equal Opportunities statement in full here.
A closer look at ZOE
Think you’ve heard our name somewhere before? We were the team behind the COVID Symptom Study, which has since become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). We use the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ own homes. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, and data/nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
Seen ZOE in the media recently? Catch our co-founder Professor Tim Spector (one of the world’s most cited scientists) and our Chief Scientist Dr Sarah Berry on this BBC Panorama, and listen to CEO Jonathan Wolf unpack the latest in science and nutrition on our ZOE podcast.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why ZOE? It translates to “Life” in Greek, which we’re helping ZOE members enjoy to the fullest.