Senior Full Stack Engineer - Payments
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
We are redefining how people approach their health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, ZOE is already helping > 100k ZOE members to adopt healthier habits and live better. Our work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
To learn more, head to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Audible to listen to our Science & Nutrition Podcast (with 3 million listens!)
A remote-first, high-growth startup, we are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and builders to join our team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. We are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. We want our teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of our teammates and the people around us is a top priority.
Check out what life is like for our tech team on ZOE Tech.
We’re looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer to take ZOE even further.
What’s the role?
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer in the Payments team, you will be working closely with the rest of the engineers writing code, performing code reviews, participating in and/or leading architecture sessions, designing the future of our systems, sharing your knowledge to help your fellow team members grow, and managing stakeholders like finance and Customer support.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the personal and professional development of our team by providing guidance, support, and expertise. You will play a crucial role in helping individuals achieve their goals, overcome challenges, and maximize their potential.
Meet the team
Our Payments team is integral to the success of ZOE. We build software solutions so our customers can buy our products seamlessly, helping them throughout their purchasing journey at ZOE. We are in the process of maturing our payment infrastructure, including splitting out microservices and preparing to scale up to match our growth plans. We operate in a very dynamic and rewarding environment, where we work closely with our stakeholders to find the best solutions for both the business and our potential customers. Our agile, cross-functional teams use continuous delivery and regular feedback to ensure we deliver value to our customers on a daily basis. Our systems make use of Python, Kotlin, Typescript, React, and FastAPI. We deploy and operate our software using Kubernetes in GCP.
- +6 years of experience as a full stack developer working across both the Front End and Back End (Python, Kotlin, Typescript, React, React Native, FastAPI, K8s in GCP).
- Actively helping others grow through mentoring and close collaboration.
- Comfortable collaborating with stakeholders and product managers to ensure we deliver exceptional value to both the business and our customers.
- Working in a self-organising team with high levels of trust and collaboration. We believe in empowering our engineers to lead initiatives.
- Leading by example to ensure our engineering solutions are scalable, maintainable, testable and follow best practices.
- Helping the team operate effectively by breaking problems down into simpler ones for fast delivery and impact.
- Are someone who strives to keep their code clean, tests complete and functional, and their releases frequent.
- Working in fast feedback loops with our customers, to ensure we are continuously learning and improving.
- Solid understanding of best practices around CI/CD, containers and what a great release process looks like. We release several times a daySomeone who enjoys working in an incredibly supportive environment with cross-functional teams.
We think you’ll be a great fit if you…
- Believe in outcome over output. As such, we prefer a "technology agnostic" mindset that's aimed to get the job done - whatever tool is required.
- Have a proactive personality with a passion for software engineering and Software Craftsmanship. Have an experimentation mindset. We prefer to rapidly test ideas with our customers to ensure we are building a product our customers love.
- Are happy to work in a diverse work environment where we celebrate differences and build upon each other positively.
- Are someone who brings joy and enjoys building meaningful work relationships.
- Are someone who loves the challenge of designing an architecture that remains performant as we scale.
- Have experience in Fintech or related fields
These are the ideal skills, attributes, and experience we’re looking for in this role. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes, especially on the skills and experience front, we’re happy to upskill for the right candidate.
Life as a ZOEntist – what you can expect from us:
As well as industry-benchmarked compensation and all the hardware and software you need, we offer a thoughtfully-curated list of benefits. We expect this list to evolve as we continue supporting our team members’ long-term personal and professional growth, and their wellbeing.
Remote-first: Work flexibly – from home, our London office, or anywhere within the EU
Stock options: So you can share in our growth
Paid time off: 28 days paid leave (25 holiday days, plus 2 company-wide reset days, and 1 “life event” day)
Enhanced Parental Leave: On top of the statutory offering
Flexible private healthcare and life assurance options
Pension contribution: Pay monthly or top up – your choice.
Health and wellbeing: Like our Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to Work Scheme
Social, WFH, and Growth (L&D) budgets. Plus, multiple opportunities to connect, grow, and socialise
We’re all about equal opportunities
We know that a successful team is made up of diverse people, able to be their authentic selves. To continue growing our team in the best way, we believe that equal opportunities matter, so we encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply for this role. You can view our Equal Opportunities statement in full here.
A closer look at ZOE
Think you’ve heard our name somewhere before? We were the team behind the COVID Symptom Study, which has since become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). We use the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ own homes. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, and data/nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
Seen ZOE in the media recently? Catch our co-founder Professor Tim Spector (one of the world’s most cited scientists) and our Chief Scientist Dr Sarah Berry on this BBC Panorama, and listen to CEO Jonathan Wolf unpack the latest in science and nutrition on our ZOE podcast.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why ZOE? It translates to “Life” in Greek, which we’re helping ZOE members enjoy to the fullest.