Accounting & Finance
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2023
We Are Redefining How People Approach Their Health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is radically reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, having generated a waitlist of over 300,000, ZOE is already helping tens of thousands of ZOE members adopt healthier habits and achieve their goals.
We are also the team behind the popular COVID Symptom Study, which played a critical role in the fight against COVID in the UK and has now expanded to become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). ZHS uses the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ homes to understand health and prevent disease. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science has led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
A remote-first, well-funded startup, we are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and doers to join our team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems that span the globe. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. We are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. We want our teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of our teammates and the people around us is a top priority.
About the team
Our Finance team embodies the values of ZOE within an open, transparent and high-performing team. Current team members come with a wealth of experience in Start-ups, high growth, and transformational change. Looking into H2 2023 and beyond, key projects such as the redevelopment of the multi-year Business Plan, the upgrade of key reporting tools, and potential financing rounds offer a great opportunity for empowerment and learning. Core to our performance is a collaborative approach across departments.
About the role
In the newly created role of an FP&A Lead, you will play a crucial role in our finance team, responsible for developing budget and multi-year business plan models. You will also oversee the management reporting infrastructure and provide insightful analyses for presentation to the Board. This is an opportunity to leverage your strong quantitative and financial modeling skills to shape ZOE's FP&A infrastructure and tooling strategy. This is a unique opportunity to bring your expertise into an exciting and fast-paced environment, you will be joining one of the UK’s 10 fastest-growing start-ups.
Working closely with the VP Finance, CFO and wider leadership team, you will be crafting and owning the FP&A strategy, for a company which has a potential route to IPO in 5-7 years. You will be a significant contributor, and your role will evolve as the business remit expands.
- The builder of the FP&A function and team, devising systems that will be integral to providing significant value to the broader ZOE team in the future.
- Preparing the budget and multi-year business plan models, ensuring accuracy and alignment with strategic goals.
- Support month-end close process in close partnership with the Accounting team through management of the management reporting models, detailed reporting, variance analysis and insights to the leadership team and Board
- Conducting investment evaluation and ROI analysis (including economics of paid user acquisition).
- Supporting ad-hoc analysis requests as required, providing timely and accurate financial insights.
- Developing the FP&A infrastructure and tooling strategy, ensuring efficient and effective reporting processes.
- Supporting OKR planning with financial insights, helping to align tactical planning with strategic company goals.
- Owner of the Finance dashboarding environment in Holistics, ensuring data accuracy and user-friendly visualisation.
- In time, supporting the business with wider commercial/strategic initiatives, including customer & cohort analysis, country-by-country strategy and pricing decisions.
Key skills required...
- Strong quantitative and financial modelling skills, with a high level of proficiency in Excel.
- Data-savvy mindset, with experience in business intelligence tools (BI) being advantageous.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up complex models for FP&A, valuation, or due diligence purposes.
- Good understanding of user acquisition economics and cohort LTV based planning.
- Excellent attention to detail, delivering high-quality work with minimal errors.
- Strong understanding of quality control methodologies to ensure data integrity and accuracy.
- Proficient in process management, adhering to finance calendars and meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently while delivering exceptional results.
- Have the ability to teach, train and coach non-financial staff in financial concepts.
- Team player with a “no task is too small” mentality
- ERP experience would be nice to have
We think you'll be a great fit if you...
- You are a Finance leader who is passionate about making a positive impact on the success of the business every day. We want a business partner who likes to operate both hands-on within the daily operation of the business, yet oriented at the long-term course and business goals.
- Previous experience in corporate finance/transaction services consulting, with exposure to due diligence work would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with SQL is valuable but not mandatory.
- Passionate about contributing to a mission-driven company in a collaborative team environment.
Why should you apply?
- If you are an Excel wizard with a passion for financial modeling and delivering high-quality analyses, we encourage you to apply
- This is a unique opportunity to set up the FP&A function for a potential future unicorn
- You will have a wide variety of responsibilities and be able to make a real impact on the business
- You will work with a highly motivated team in a growth-oriented culture
- You will be part of a company that is committed to doing the right things and doing things right
- You can work remotely with a high level of autonomy
These are the ideal skills, attributes, and experience we’re looking for in this role. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes, especially on the skills and experience front, we’re happy to upskill for the right candidate.
Life as a ZOEntist – what you can expect from us:
As well as industry-benchmarked compensation and all the hardware and software you need, we offer a thoughtfully-curated list of benefits. We expect this list to evolve as we continue supporting our team members’ long-term personal and professional growth, and their wellbeing.
Remote-first: Work flexibly – from home, our London office, or anywhere within the EU
Stock options: So you can share in our growth
Paid time off: 28 days paid leave (25 holiday days, plus 2 company-wide reset days, and 1 “life event” day)
Enhanced Parental Leave: On top of the statutory offering
Flexible private healthcare and life assurance options
Pension contribution: Pay monthly or top up – your choice.
Health and wellbeing: Like our Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to Work Scheme
Social, WFH, and Growth (L&D) budgets. Plus, multiple opportunities to connect, grow, and socialise
We’re all about equal opportunities
We know that a successful team is made up of diverse people, able to be their authentic selves. To continue growing our team in the best way, we believe that equal opportunities matter, so we encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply for this role. You can view our Equal Opportunities statement in full here.
A closer look at ZOE Think you’ve heard our name somewhere before? We were the team behind the COVID Symptom Study, which has since become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). We use the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ own homes. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, and data/nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
Seen ZOE in the media recently? Catch our co-founder Professor Tim Spector (one of the world’s most cited scientists) and our Chief Scientist Dr Sarah Berry on this BBC Panorama, and listen to CEO Jonathan Wolf unpack the latest in science and nutrition on our ZOE podcast.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why ZOE? It translates to “Life” in Greek, which we’re helping ZOE members enjoy to the fullest.