Engineering Manager - Ops Scaling
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Operations
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
We are redefining how people approach their health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is radically reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, having generated a waitlist of over 300,000, ZOE is already helping tens of thousands of ZOE members adopt healthier habits and achieve their goals.
We are also the team behind the popular COVID Symptom Study, which played a critical role in the fight against COVID in the UK and has now expanded to become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). ZHS uses the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ homes to understand health and prevent disease. . Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science has led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
A remote-first, well-funded startup, we are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and doers to join our team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems that span the globe. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. We are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. We want our teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of our teammates and the people around us is a top priority.
Check out what life is like for our Engineers at our ZOE Engineering page
About the team…
The Ops Scaling team is integral to the growth of our product and the success of ZOE. We build software to automate interaction with our partners and maximise the efficiency of our Engineering, Operations and Support functions. We handle the logistics aspects of the physical parts of our products (logistics, shipping, returns, inventory management, exception management) including third party integrations, as well as enabling our Support team to work more effectively with the help of AI and automation. Our unique challenge: build distributed systems that integrate with all our partners into a cohesive ecosystem that scales across countries.
About the role
We are looking for someone to lead our team and encourage sustainable delivery at pace. You will partner with engineers, product managers and product designers to deliver great customer impact and make ZOE a great place to work.
- Leading a team of engineers that focuses on outcomes over output
- Coaching, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers
- Ensuring high psychological safety
- Partnering with product to establish the teams roadmap and achieve sustainable throughput
- Releasing small changes regularly to get fast feedback from our users
- Spending a large amount of your time deep in the code, leading by example on code and testing best practices
- Challenging the team on system design, scope and sequencing to deliver faster while decreasing technical debt
- Collaborating daily with other teams
- Thinking longer term and being proactive when solving challenges
- Contributing to the evolution of our architecture, tools and processes
- Partnering with other engineering managers on cross cutting initiatives like hiring and onboarding
We think you'll be a great fit if you
- Have a great reputation of leading a distributed full-stack team, in a fast paced environment.
- Have experience working with Support teams, and understand best practices for handling Support at scale.
- Are someone who takes ownership and is comfortable with ambiguity. You provide clarity and make things happen
- Have experience with paired programming
- Data-driven. You challenge everyone to measure impact and demonstrate added value
- Great communication skills. Both verbal and in writing
We will also appreciate
- An incredible growth mindset. You read books, watch talks, listen to podcasts and are never afraid to try new things
- Experience building mobile apps
- Experience deploying machine learning in production
- Experience with scalability (backend, data pipelines)
The interview process
- Intro to ZOE with a Talent Partner (30 mins).
- Intro with our VP of Engineering (30mins).
- Technical Interview & Systems Design (90 mins). As part of this stage, we will ask you to teach us something technical asynchronously (text or video) to assess your ability to go in-depth and communicate.
- Behavioural interviews with a Senior Engineering manager (60mins) and VP of Engineering (60 mins).
- Meet a senior stakeholder outside of Technology (30mins) and meet a founder (30mins).
Check out what life is like for our Engineers at our ZOE Engineering page
This isn't for you if:
💔 Our mission to help people live healthier lives doesn’t excite you.
💔 You aren’t comfortable with ambiguity, or thinking from first principles.
💔 You don’t enjoy working in a fast paced environment.
💔 You aren’t happy taking an MVP approach and doing what’s good enough for now
Why you’ll love it here
Discover our values and our career page to find out more.
⭐ You'll be energised by testimonials of members who had life-changing experiences
⭐ You’ll be surrounded by the most friendly, supportive colleagues you can imagine. We have assembled the sharpest minds from diverse backgrounds
⭐ As we grow, so will you! ZOE’s fast-paced, challenging environment offers you great opportunities for professional development, supported by a yearly growth budget ($200 no question asked budget and up to $1,000 with your manager's approval).
⭐ We embraced flexible and distributed working and keep everyone informed through our transparent culture. You will be in complete control of your work environment. We have an office open to you, but you are never required to use it. You can choose whether to come in and meet colleagues face to face, or be fully remote
⭐ Switching off is important! At ZOE, we understand that to do your best work, you also need to be able to relax and connect with your colleagues. Enjoy our fun virtual and face-to-face social events, supported by a $70/month social budget
What we can offer you:
- Stock options for all employees, be rewarded long-term, for your contribution to our growth
- Remote first - Work from home, our London/Boston offices, or within the EU. Get yourself set up comfortably at home with a WFH equipment budget
- 28 days annual leave - 25 days as standard (20 in the US), 2 company reset days for us all to reset and recharge, and 1 Life Event day per year to use on the day that means most to you
- Pension plan - We’ll contribute to your pension plan, and you can top up what you like
- Enhanced parental leave scheme
- Private healthcare and life assurance packages (401k in the US)
- Health and wellbeing packages- including Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to work schemes
- Allocated monthly social budget
See more open positions at ZOE
Something looks off?