Senior Frontend Engineer // Design System
Software Engineering, Design
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Back Market is the world’s leading refurbished electronics marketplace with a team of 700 people, powering operations in 17 countries (and counting!).Named one of the World's Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company in 2019 and again in 2021, our mission is simple: empowering people to consume tech sustainably by offering folks a high quality, accessible, and more eco-friendly alternative to buying new electronics. Why? Refurbished tech helps lower our collective environmental impact . We have indeed contributed to avoid the production of more than 1,000,000 tons of CO2e worldwide since our launch in 2014.Be part of an exciting and growing international adventure that will change the way the world consumes tech. The Design System team at Back Market is tasked with enabling our product, engineer and design teams to build consistent, high quality user experiences on our product platforms.By coupling our respective know-how, we provide expertise on Web engineering, brand, usability and accessibility matters as part of our day-to-day. We’re responsible for maintaining and improving our web component library, its documentation and development environment, as well as the workflows and automations that allow us to keep design and front-end teams aligned and able to work together smoothly. The roleWe are looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer to join the Design System team composed of three frontend engineers, three product designers, a product manager, and an engineering manager.You will contribute to the development and operations of our Design System. With the team, you will improve and automate the delivery and maintenance of our components and assets. You will heighten the usability of the Design System by iteratively improving our documentation & guidelines, and through direct support and advocacy. You will help us innovate and scale to enable Back Market to expand as fast as ever. You’ll be responsible for
- Building, maintaining, and improving a robust design system for Back Market’s B2C & B2B touchpoints (Responsive Web, iOS, and Android), along with colleagues
- Supporting contributions on the front-end perimeter, through facilitation, support, code reviews, and developer experience improvements
- Maintaining our front-end codebase and tooling, and developing a joint vision with the Front-End Chapter on our technological choices
- Ensuring smooth delivery of our Web codebase and supporting the Front-End Chapter in planning, executing, or automating migrations
- Building and maintaining automation and other tools that allow us to operate at a larger scale (automation of tokens delivery, assets, plugins, CI/CD)
- Identifying further opportunities for the Design System to scale
- Improving our documentation platform and its content to ensure an easy understanding of the Design System and to increase its adoption
- Helping us ensure our experiences adhere to accessibility standards and other relevant practices
- You are familiar with Design System challenges or you have owned or significantly contributed to a Design System
- You have solid experience in some of the following topics: Vue.js , accessibility, Web performance, SEO, SSR, DevOps, QA, code generation, code analysis
- You’re comfortable with APIs, CI environments, and cloud platforms and can build bridges between them and code repositories
- You love to coach and mentor others and to support the growth of team members whatever their seniority, but you also stay humble and ready to learn from others
- You’re aware of the importance of good communication between designers and engineers, and you can easily discuss your work with a non-technical audience
- You are inherently curious, you are idealistic but you challenge the status quo responsibly
- You can proactively advocate your impact and autonomously communicate progress, learnings, and goals to the company and beyond
- You are comfortable communicating professionally in English as we are an international team
- Phone screen with Yann (30 min)
- Technical screening with our frontend team (30 minutes)
- Frontend technical interview focused on Design System topics (1h30)
- Cultural fit with your future manager plus one person from our product team (1h)
- BM value interview with our leadership (45m)
- A meaningful job: you will help avoid thousands of tons of electronic waste and fight against planned obsolescence. It counts!
- A meaningful company: we became a mission-driven company in January 2022.
- Be part of a worldwide growing company based in Europe, the USA and Asia to face great challenges : you will have the freedom to innovate and adopt new ideas!
- Work alongside passionate experts: who will share their knowledge and help you develop and grow in your career.
- Grow your career: with a flexible career path and a dedicated Learning & Development team. Back Market will help you evolve with personalized internal trainings and external handpicked providers from day 1!
- Leadership Academy by Back Market:“be a coach not a dictator” is at the core of this program ! We train and enable all our leaders to support their team towards achieving goals. Be a manager at Back Market is an unique experience we take by heart.
- An attractive salary, equity and a host of benefits including : Lunch voucher, health insurance, relocation package, paid time off for activism in your community, parental benefits, flexible hours, etc…
- One Loving Tribe: you will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, open-minded and friendly environment.
- Be part of one of our Employee Resource Groups createdaround shared identities, common backgrounds and/or special interests crafted to be a safe space and an expressive outlet.
- Several internal events: The Monday Brief (weekly)/ The Somehands (monthly)/ The All Hands (annual).
- We’re here to SABOTAGE: It’s our mantra. It keeps us focused on what we aspire to be: a little bit sneaky, always smart, kinda frugal and constantly conspiring to create maximum impact.